Browse CIA Jobs
Electronic Publishing Specialist
- Full time
- Starting salary: $54,308 - $79,377
- Associate's or bachelor's degree
There are currently no openings for this position. Please check back periodically as our hiring needs change.
About the Job
As an Electronic Publishing Specialist for CIA, you will support desktop publishing and page layout for print and electronic publications, content development, and maintenance for websites and other electronic media. Pending skill assessment, you may also provide graphic development support for other creative media products. You will create, edit, and publish products for print, mobile, and web supporting information dissemination to CIA, the Intelligence Community, and Federal Government. These entry level to full performance positions require experience in content development, editing, publication design, graphic design, and basic website development.
Specific duties for this position include:
- Creating publications from scratch or from pre-defined specifications
- Developing new product templates
- Writing, editing, and formatting content for publications and websites
- Document conversion for multiple output formats (print, web, and mobile)
- Developing and maintaining websites on the internet or various intranets
- Ensuring consistent application of style, typography, and other design elements to products
- Managing time and deliverables within the scope of a production schedule
You will work with a team of electronic publishers within a studio environment; however, there are occasional opportunities to deploy as a single dedicated support specialist serving the publishing needs of various CIA and Intelligence Community locations within the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields or related studies:
- Graphic Design
- Or, at least six (6) years of work experience in a professional publishing environment may be substituted for academics
- Knowledge of the following:
- Website development
- Content management
- Publication design
- Graphic design
- Preparing files and documents for conventional and digital printing process
- Strong verbal and written communications skills suitable to provide product demonstrations, document and explain project requirements, and create/develop/manage content for websites and publications
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, and creative skills to work effectively within professional creative team environments
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Background in English, writing, rhetoric or journalism
- Strong business acumen
- Experience in publishing business environment
What You’ll Need to Apply
The following items must be attached to your online application (PDF format preferred):
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- A cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.
- Two (2) professional writing samples, each two (2) pages MAXIMUM, single-spaced. The writing samples should demonstrate traditional report or journalistic format and a more concise version written for a website or blog post.
- Portfolio: In the Preferences section under Job Objectives, please include a link to your online portfolio (please note we are unable to access Google Docs or Google Drive). Attach a PDF portfolio if you do not have an online portfolio. In the portfolio, please include samples of publication and design work, plus links to websites you have developed and or maintained. These samples should demonstrate your experience with typography, layout, and basic design principles utilizing print, digital and mobile platforms.