- Full time
- Starting salary: $106,823 - $138,856*
- *Higher starting salary possible depending on experience level
- Bachelor’s degree
There are currently no openings for this position. Please check back periodically as our hiring needs change.
About the Job
As a Museum Registrar, you will serve as the information manager of CIA’s museum artifacts for the purpose of creating exhibits and building collections related to the history and practice of intelligence. You will participate in all aspects of collection care: acquisition, record keeping, storage, conservation, loans, and deaccessioning, as well as managing the volunteer staff to help you in your collection efforts. You will oversee the development and maintenance of the museum collection management system to account for museum property and oversee the storage and exhibit environments.
Additionally, the Museum Registrar writes interpretive plans and narratives for the large number of varied exhibits in the CIA museum. You will also participate in interpreting the museum collections to internal visitors as well as through external appearances, such as public presentations and through CIA’s public website. You are expected to cultivate a varied professional network among other museum professionals, educators, academics, civic organizations, other CIA officers, and the wider Intelligence Community.
The CIA Museum promotes an understanding of the craft of intelligence and its role in the broader American experience in historical, present and future contexts. It identifies, documents, and preserves intelligence artifacts for innovative exhibitions and educational programs and is the leader in preserving the history and advancing the culture of CIA to the widest possible audience. In the spirit of partnership with educational, cultural, governmental, and community organizations, the CIA Museum creatively manages its resources in ways that are responsive to the needs of a diverse audience.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields or related studies:
- Museum Studies
- Equivalent combination of experience or training with museum/gallery experience as collections manager and/or registrar with demonstrated knowledge of registration practice.
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale is preferred, but exceptions are made for extenuating circumstances.
- One (1) year of specialized experience in one or more of the following areas related to museum work
- Curation and collections management, including researching and developing documentation
- Resolving significant operating problems affecting the curation, conservation, and exhibition of heritage assets
- Project manager for exhibit development in a museum setting
- Excellent research, organizational, and data systems skills
- Detail oriented and strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to assign, review, and supervise the work of others
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- Cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.