Browse CIA Jobs
Undergraduate Internship/Co-Op Program-Cyber Security Officer
About the Job
As a Cyber Security Undergraduate Intern for CIA, you will work side-by-side with other Cyber Security Officers to protect Agency data and systems using sophisticated tools, instrumentation, and knowledge of CIA Information Technology (IT) and tradecraft to monitor, evaluate, and manage IT risk. You will protect CIA data and IT systems by identifying current threats, mitigating vulnerabilities, and anticipating future cybersecurity challenges.
You will have the opportunity to assist Cyber Security Officers as they do the following work to support Agency customers:
- Analyze existing and future systems across the Agency, review security architectures, and develop engineering solutions that integrate information security requirements to proactively protect information
- Perform audit and security compliance checks, including network penetration testing, vulnerability scans, and other configuration analysis
- Conduct Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT) activities, including forensic analysis and review and assessment of security events and logs via sophisticated security/event management tools
- Implement and support network defense, identification/authentication/access control, data protection mechanisms, and data transfer mechanisms
- Develop threat models and security risk assessments and recommend mitigations and countermeasures to address risks, vulnerabilities, and threats
- Review and validate security documentation, including the system security requirements definition and System Security Plans
- Implement security designs in hardware, software, data, and procedures
Provide guidance to Agency customers on CIA’s and Intelligence Community’s information security policies and regulations.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
The CIA offers various benefits to students, including:
- Paid time off
- Federal health and life insurance
- Education and training
- Health services
- Child care center
- Credit union
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Full-time student pursuing an undergraduate degree in one of the following fields or related studies:
- Information Assurance
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering or other technical field
- Availability to work either a combination of one semester and one summer internship or two 90-day summer internships
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale
- Attending school on a full-time basis before/following this internship
- One (1) year of college class work with some fundamental computer science or cyber defense classes or relevant cyber defense work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong commitment to continuous learning
- Ability to follow directions and work in a team environment
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- A cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.
- Writing sample, three (3) pages MAXIMUM, single spaced, that focuses on your current area of expertise or interests and is related to your interest in positions at CIA. You can excerpt longer papers.