Browse CIA Jobs
Undergraduate Internship/Co-op Program-Digital Experience Designer
- Starting salary: $44,279
- Full-time student pursuing an undergraduate degree
The Central Intelligence Agency's online application system will be unavailable from 5PM EST July 8th through 7 AM EST August 2nd for maintenance and system enhancements. During this time, you will be able to browse for jobs and collect the documents required for your application (e.g., transcripts, writing samples, etc.). You will not be able to add jobs to your cart or complete the application process. We apologize for the inconvenience, but look forward to receiving your application when the site becomes available on August 2nd.
About the Job
As a Digital Experience Designer Undergraduate Intern for CIA, you will work for Imaging & Publishing Support (IPS), within the Office of Enterprise Support (OES), as the Intelligence Community Publisher, providing both traditional and digital printing, online publishing, multimedia support, photographic support, digital archiving, design support, and copier management services to CIA, the Intelligence Community (IC), and other federal government agencies. IPS provides a vital service to the Intelligence Community and national policymakers by publishing the Studies in Intelligence, CIA’s Agency Financial Report, the IC’s Congressional Budget Justification Books, and time critical mission relevant finished intelligence.
Within IPS, user interface, user experience, and web development professionals produce a variety of digital products for clients across CIA and the IC. Leveraging strong conceptualization, critical thinking, product development, and communication skills, designers engage in the development of corporate communication websites, interactive presentations, data visualization, dynamic infographics, and organizational identity development, exhibit and display design, information graphics, promotional and presentation design, and publication design. In a highly collaborative environment, you will be challenged to produce the most effective product to communicate the client message.
Interns with IPS will interact with clients, collaborate with peers, become familiar with a business-like environment where you will negotiate budgets and deadlines, and work in an intelligence organization supporting an amazing mission. You will also engage in a variety of developmental experiences and assess the Agency as an employer of choice while also being assessed for potential employment following graduation.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
The CIA offers various benefits to students, including:
- Paid time off
- Federal health and life insurance
- Education and training
- Health services
- Child care center
- Credit union
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Experience working in a web development business
- Academic studies focused on web design, web development
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale
- Participation in certified interactive or user-centric design program at a 4-year college or university
- Demonstrate knowledge of sound design principles for interactive experiences, responsive design, and rapid prototyping
- Strong conceptualization skills to develop unique and effective solutions
- Strong communications skills, both in writing and interpersonally
- In depth knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Adobe creative software (especially Photoshop)
- Understanding and/or experience in multiple forms of product output
- Previous experience as a service provider or in a customer service environment
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- A cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.
- Two (2) different writing samples, each five (5) pages MAXIMUM, single spaced, technical or analytic papers. You may excerpt longer papers.