Telecommunications Field Engineer - Entry and Developmental
|Work Schedule:||Full Time|
|Salary:||$57,000 – $62,000|
|Location:||Washington, DC metropolitan area|
Telecommunications Information Systems Officers (TISOs) specializing in Field Engineering (F/E) deploy world-wide in support of the installation, operation, maintenance, and decommissioning of specialized telecommunications systems, networks and components. F/E's also upgrade, modify, configure and document communications systems and associated cable plant and conveyance system infrastructure as well as serve as the project manager on projects of various sizes and durations. The specialized systems include but are not limited to Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), terrestrial communication, cryptographic systems, and satellite/microwave/wireless RF communication systems. Given the variety of responsibilities, good communication skills, a firm understanding of technical requirements and an ability to work closely with other professionals is imperative.
- F/E's are required to serve in difficult or harsh environments, and are often called upon to work in locations where weapons certifications are required
- F/E's are required to broaden their skills across several IT fields (LAN, WAN, wireless, RF, microwave, satellite, etc.) and are expected to remain proficient in many areas over their career
- F/E's are required to travel up to 50% per year to foreign and domestic field locations over their career regardless of their location of assignment
- F/E's are required to lift and maneuver equipment weighing up to 70 pounds on a regular basis
- F/E's will be assigned to the Washington DC Metro Area for approximately 70% of their career, and will be relocated to the foreign and/or domestic field up to 30% of their career.
- Associate's degree in computer engineering technology, computer systems network technology, electronics engineering technology or related fields are required
- A GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required
- Equivalent military or civilian technical background (minimum of three years documented experience) in related fields will be considered as alternative to an Associate's degree on a case by case basis.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering Technology (BSEET) will generally qualify for a higher entry-level salary
- Building Office Management Institute (BOMI) Certificate in Building Systems Maintenance
Certifications/Work Experience Required:
- Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI) Installer Level 1 and 2 or other similar certifications based on EIA/TIA standards
- Five years of documented IT infrastructure experience
- Or, a minimum of three years of concentrated IT infrastructure experience combined with an additional two years of experience in the electrical, HVAC, or plumbing trades (any combination).
- O&M customer service engineer (CSE) certifications (any leading manufacture)
- Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI) Technician Level or other similar certifications based on EIA/TIA standards
- Advanced certifications and licenses such as Cisco Systems as a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Microsoft as a Microsoft Systems Engineer, Master Electrician, HVAC, or Plumbing license and other advanced level experience will generally qualify for a higher entry-level salary
- Journeyman License in at least one trade (IT infrastructure, Electrical, HVAC, or Plumbing)
- OSHA certification.
ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA.
All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.
To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.
Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are an applicant for or an employee of the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. You cannot control whom they would tell. We therefore ask you to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the Agency. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing.
Save the position(s) that interest you in the job cart. You can add up to four (4) positions. Job cart selections will only be retained during this site visit, so be sure to click “Apply Now” before closing the browser window. After clicking "Apply Now" you will be taken to the application account creation page. The positions will appear in the cart once you have created an account. DO NOT submit multiple applications; this will only slow the review of your application and delay processing. Please read the Application Instructions carefully before you begin the online application process.
An equal opportunity employer and a drug-free work force.