John E. McLaughlin
TENURE AS DEPUTY DIRECTOR:
- October 2000 - 12 November 2004
- Acting Director of Central Intelligence, 12 July 2004 - 24 September 2004
15 June 1942, McKeesport, Pennsylvania
Wittenberg University, B.A., 1964; Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, M.A., 1966
28 June 2000 by President William J. Clinton; confirmed by Senate, 18 October 2000; sworn in, 19 October 2000
- U.S. Army officer, 1966-69.
- Served a tour in South East Asia 1968-1969. Entered on duty at the CIA in 1972, and worked in the early part of his career on various European, Russian, and Eurasian issues in the Directorate of Intelligence.
- Served a rotational tour at State Department in the Bureau of European and Canadian Affairs, where he was responsible for following European relations with the Middle East, Central America, and Africa, 1984-85.
- Deputy Director and Director of the Office of European Analysis, 1985-89.
- Director of Slavic and Eurasian Analysis, 1989-95 Deputy.
- Director for Intelligence, Vice Chairman for Estimates and Acting Chairman of the National Intelligence Council, 1995-97.
- Deputy Director for Intelligence, 1997-2000.