A Stone for Willy Fisher


Previous Next


Germans, Fisher and his old friend Abel worked together training radio operators who were infiltrated behind German lines to work with partisan groups.3 They also trained "stay-behind" agents and ran a "funkspiel" operation in which German agents were doubled back to German intelligence.
After World War II ended, Soviet-American relations deteriorated and in 1948 the leadership in Moscow became more concerned about the possibility of war with the United States. Soviet-trained and equipped military forces in North Korea were planning for the invasion of South Korea and a Soviet nuclear weapon was in the final stage of development prior to detonation. Against this background, the Soviet intelligence services began planning for new contingencies.
In the event of a war with the United States, the KGB's legal residencies would be closed and espionage activities would have to employ the "illegal" residencies and some possible limited help from "friendly" embassies in Washington. The KGB's Illegals Administration assumed a more important role in planning future espionage activities targeted against the United States. Willy Fisher's extensive capabilities and experience made him an obvious candidate for his next assignment. He was a trained engineer with studies in nuclear physics and had a broad base of practical experience in organizing and planning staybehind operations and clandestine communications. The Illegals Administration was planning for activities which could make use of all of his skills.
On 14 November 1948 the ship Scythia, which had sailed from Hamburg, arrived in Quebec and a man with identification as Andrew Kayotis, a naturalized US citizen, debarked and entered the United States several days later. The real Andrew Kayotis had been a Latvian immigrant who lived and worked in Detroit for many years. After World War II, Kayotis returned to Latvia to seek out and visit relatives still living there. In Latvia, he fell ill and died in a local hospital. Kayotis' passport was used by Fisher for his entry into the United States. Before settling in New York City, he traveled around the country for almost a year. In New York, he normally used the name Emil R. Goldfus and, occasionally, the name Martin Collins. (The real Emil Goldfus was born on 2 August 1902 and died several months later; the birth certificate for Goldfdus used by Fisher was genuine. There was no Martin Collins; the Collins birth certificate carried by Fisher was a forgery.)
Fisher worked diligently to meet the agents for whom he was responsible and apparently worked to develop some new agents.4 After settling in New York City where he assumed a cover as an artist and photographer, Fisher was informed that Moscow was sending an officer to assist him in his work.
The Moscow Center selected an individual of Finnish background and equipped him with a cover establishing that he was born of Finnish immigrant parents in Enaville, Idaho on 30 May 1919 and named Eugene Nicoli Maki. (The
3 One of the young radio operators trained by Fisher was Konon Molody, later to become well known as a spy using the name of Gordon Lonsdale.
4 Among Fisher's agents were the Rosenbergs and the Krogers (Morris and Lona Cohen, later to become famous in the Portland Naval Base spy case in Britain).

Previous Next


Posted: May 08, 2007 08:59 AM
Last Updated: Aug 03, 2011 03:01 PM