Download the World Factbook
What: Posted below is the Central Intelligence Agency's most popular publication -- The World Factbook -- in compressed, .Zip file format, for the convenience of visitors who wish to download a personal copy.
Updates: We occasionally update these publications, so if you rely on the data for more than simple informational purposes, we recommend that you check back periodically for updates.
Format: The files for both publications are in standard HTML format. They have been compressed in .Zip format for ease of distribution.
Created with: The files were created with WinZip®, but any program that supports the .Zip format may be used to uncompress them.
To unzip (uncompress) the files:
- Create a file folder or directory on your computer's hard drive or on a peripheral storage device in which to store each publication downloaded.
- Download the desired file or files listed below to the location of your choice.
- Unzip the file or files you downloaded into the folder or directory you created for storing the publication.
- Do not unzip any file into a folder or directory other than the one you created. The process of unzipping the files will create subfolders or subdirectories required for the publication to be usable on your computer. If you unzip files into these subfolders or subdirectories, parts or all of the publication may not work.
Virus check: All files were checked with up-to-date commercial virus detection software prior to posting and, to the best of our ability to determine, were free of known viruses at the time they were posted.
How to use the publication: The files named index.htm and index.html open the publication's home page. Navigate to the index file in the folder or directory you created using a file manager, such as Windows Explorer, then double-click it to open and begin using the publication.
The World Factbook search feature: Please note that the downloaded World Factbook functions as a stand-alone publication on your computer with the exception that clicking the Search link will cause your browser to attempt to connect to the CIA's Web site. The search software resides on our server and cannot be distributed with the World Factbook.
The World Factbook
The World Factbook requires about 240 megabytes of disk space for the .Zip files and about 500 megabytes of disk space for the publication once it's unzipped.
- Download the file and unzip it file into the folder or directory you created.
- After unzipping this file, use a file manager to navigate to the folder or directory. To begin using The World Factbook, find and double-click the index file (there are two index files--both work equally well).
II. Multi-file set for low-bandwidth users: After downloading the files listed below, unzip each of them into to the folder or directory you've created for the Factbook. Do not unzip any of them into the subfolders or subdirectories created during the unzipping process.
Note that the first 13 Zip files will create a fully-functional version of the Factbook with the sole exception that the links to the PDF-format maps on the Reference Maps page will not work.
- ( 314KB)
- 592KB) (
- fonts.zip (16.7KB)
- images.zip (534.1KB)
- js.zip (70.5KB)
Reference Maps (PDF*):
- africa.zip (807.1KB)
- world_oceans.zip (2.3MB)
After unzipping these files, use a file manager to navigate to that folder or directory. To begin using The World Factbook, find and double-click the index file (there are two index files--both work equally well).
While they cannot be browsed on this Web site, these previous editions of The World Factbook are available for download:
- The World Factbook 2013
- The World Factbook 2011
- The World Factbook 2010
- The World Factbook 2009
- The World Factbook 2008
- The World Factbook 2007
- The World Factbook 2006
- The World Factbook 2005
- The World Factbook 2004
- The World Factbook 2003
- The World Factbook 2002
- The World Factbook 2001
- The World Factbook 2000
* Adobe® Reader® is needed to view Adobe PDF files. If you don't already have Adobe Reader installed, you may download the current version at www.adobe.com (opens in a new window). [external link disclaimer]