Middle East :: Georgia
Caption
A more panoramic view of Mtskheta from the Jvari Monastery. The town, which lies at the confluence of the Mtkvari (Kura) and Aragvi rivers, served as the capital of the Georgian Kingdom of Iberia from the 3rd century B.C. to the 5th century A.D. It was the site where Christianity was proclaimed the state religion of Georgia in 317. Although the capital was moved to Tbilisi in the early 6th century, Mtskheta continued to serve as the coronation and burial place for most Georgian kings until the 19th century.
Usage
Factbook photos - obtained from a wide variety of sources - are in the public domain and are copyright free.
Agency Copyright Notice
Dimension | File Size
1074 X 1500 pixels 266.53 KB
Download - only file size available