Europe :: Germany
Caption
The basilica of Sankt Wendel (St. Wendel) in the eponymous town near Trier. The site was originally named Basonevillare (Baso's farm) after the feudal lord who owned it. The Bishop of Verdun bought the town in the mid-7th century, and erected a church over the grave of a very popular hermit Wendelin who died near Basonevillare. The church became such a popular pilgrimage destination that eventually a new church had to be built and Wendelin's remains were transfered there. The area around the new church became a marketplace and a town called Sankt Wendel.
Usage
Factbook photos - obtained from a wide variety of sources - are in the public domain and are copyright free.
Agency Copyright Notice
Dimension | File Size
1500 X 1125 pixels 218.64 KB
Download - only file size available