Europe :: Italy
Caption
View of St. Mark's Square in Venice showing the famous Greek horses and the astronomical clock. The bronze horses were originally installed at the Hippodrome in Constantinople and so date back to at least the 4th century. In 1254 they came to Venice where they remained until 1797 when they were brought to Paris by Napoleon. In 1815 they were returned to Venice. The originals are now in St. Mark's Museum. The original astronomical clock was built between 1496-99. It has been renovated many times, most recently in 1996.
Usage
Factbook photos - obtained from a wide variety of sources - are in the public domain and are copyright free.
Agency Copyright Notice
Dimension | File Size
1111 X 1500 pixels 227.62 KB
Download - only file size available