CIA & the War on Terrorism
"Today we mark twelve years since the terrible attacks that shook our Homeland on September 11, 2001 - a tragedy that had a profound impact on our Agency, the Nation, and the world. While much work still needs to be done on the counterterrorism front, CIA officers should be proud of the many, many contributions they have made since 2001. Indeed, the CIA now works more closely than ever with its domestic and foreign partners to thwart the plans of al-Qa'ida and other terrorist groups. And we will always hold dear the memory of those lost to terrorism on that day and in the years since."
—DCIA John O. Brennan, Message to the Workforce, September 11, 2013
* * * * *
- May 2, 2011 - Statement to Employees by Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Leon E. Panetta on the Death of Usama Bin Ladin.
- October 19, 2010 - Statement to Employees by Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Leon E. Panetta on Lessons from Khowst.
- September 10, 2010 - Statement to Employees by Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Leon E. Panetta on Remembering September 11th.
- June 7, 2010 - CIA Honors Fallen Colleagues.
- February 16, 2010 - President Obama and CIA Director Panetta Speak at CIA Memorial Service (February 5, 2010).
- January 11, 2010 - Director Panetta's Op-Ed on Terrorist Attack in Afghanistan.
- December 31, 2009 - Statement on CIA Casualties in Afghanistan.
- September 10, 2009 - Statement to Employees by Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Leon E. Panetta on September 11th.
- November 14, 2008 - Transcript of Remarks by Central Intelligence Agency Director Michael Hayden at the Atlantic Council (November 13, 2008).
- September 7, 2007 - Transcript of Remarks by Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Gen. Michael V. Hayden at the Council on Foreign Relations (posted with permission from the Council on Foreign Relations).
- January 11, 2007 - Excerpt from D/CIA Statement to Senate Intel Committee.
- November 15, 2006 - Director Hayden's Statement for the Record Before the Senate Armed Services Committee: The Current Situation in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- February 16, 2005 - DCI Porter J. Goss's Testimony on "Global Intelligence Challenges 2005: Meeting Long-Term Challenges with a Long-Term Strategy" Before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
- June 4, 2004 - A Scapegoat is Not a Solution, by Paul Pillar, an Op-Ed Article Which Appeared in the New York Times.
- April 14, 2004 - Opening Remarks of Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet Before the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States.
- March 24, 2004 - Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet's Oral Statement before the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (as delivered).
- March 24, 2004 - Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet's Written Statement for the Record before the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States.
- June 3, 2003 - Terrorist CBRN: Materials and Effects.
- May 28, 2003 - Iraqi Mobile Biological Warfare Agent Production Plants.
- February 26, 2003 - Testimony by Winston P. Wiley, Chair, Senior Steering Group, Terrorist Threat Integration Center, and Associate Director of Central Intelligence for Homeland Security, before the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee (as prepared for delivery).
- February 2003 - National Strategy for Combating Terrorism [PDF Only 268KB*].
- January 2003 - Putting Noncombatants at Risk: Saddam's Use of "Human Shields."
- December 11, 2002 - Remarks by the Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet at the Nixon Center Distinguished Service Award Banquet.
- October 17, 2002 - Written Statement for the Record of the Director of Central Intelligence Before the Joint Inquiry Committee.
- June 18, 2002 - Unclassified Version of Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet's Testimony before the Joint Inquiry into Terrorist Attacks Against the United States.
- September 26, 2001 - DCI George J. Tenet and President George W. Bush's Remarks to the CIA workforce.
September 14, 2001 - Message from Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet on National Day of Prayer and Remembrance.
September 12, 2001 - DCI Statement to CIA Employees.
- Public Statements on Terrorism and Usama Bin Ladin since July 1997.
- Public Statements on Potential Terrorist Use of Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Agents since July 1997.
- December 2000 - Terrorism-related Excerpts from Global Trends 2015: A Dialogue About the Future With Nongovernment Experts.
- May 5, 1998 - Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet Statements on the Need to Strengthen the Directorate of Operations.
- Terrorism FAQs
- Chemical/Biological/Radiological Incident Handbook
- Related Links
- DCI Counterterrorist Center "Terrorist Buster" logo
* Adobe® Reader® is needed to view Adobe PDF files. If you don't already have Adobe Reader installed, you may download the current version at www.adobe.com (opens in a new window). [external link disclaimer]