Discover CIA's History with the Interactive Timeline
If you’re a history buff who’s fascinated by everything CIA, check out the Interactive Timeline on CIA.gov. Browse through the timeline and learn about Agency history with interesting facts and pictures.
For example, did you know that the Original Headquarters Building cornerstone was laid on November 3, 1959 at a ceremony officiated by Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) Allen Dulles and President Dwight D. Eisenhower? The CIA Museum still has the trowel used by President Eisenhower to lay the cornerstone.
The Interactive Timeline is a valuable tool for everyone; teachers and students alike.
Events covered include:
- Establishment of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) – the predecessor of today’s CIA
- Signing of the National Security Act of 1947, which established the CIA
- Creation of the Directorate of Intelligence
- Creation of the Directorate of Science and Technology
- The first President’s Daily Brief
Other history-related interactive features include: