Mission support was integral to CIA’s activities even before the official founding of the Agency in 1947. Support functions were initially carried out under the purview of an Executive for Administration and Management. In 1950, the CIA established offices for Administration and Personnel.
Beginning in the 1950s, CIA support officers were forward-deployed with analysts, scientists, engineers and operations officers, a tradition that continues to this day. During the 1990s, various support offices underwent changes in the way they do business. Select support activities adopted a cost-recovery model, charging mission partners for services, mirroring their commercial counterparts.
In response to accelerated post-9/11 national security needs, the majority of business lines were reunited under one governance structure with an emphasis on integration, agility, and global capabilities. Recent structural adjustments continue to improve customer service.