Document Type: 
Document Number (FOIA) /ESDN (CREST): 
Release Decision: 
Original Classification: 
Document Page Count: 
Document Creation Date: 
December 19, 2016
Document Release Date: 
August 3, 2000
Sequence Number: 
Case Number: 
Publication Date: 
August 3, 1964
Content Type: 
PDF icon CIA-RDP76-00183R000500030096-3.pdf127.1 KB
SECRET Approved Forplease 2006101/03 : CIA-RDP76-0018300500030096-3 DIARY NOTES 25X1A DD/S 3 August 1964 1. I had a long session with Mr. Kirkpatrick this morning to discuss a number of items. a. Kirk advised me that Tom Karamessines had been to see him about a long list of things, several of which concerned the DD/S area, as follows: (1) DD/P wants a greater voice in the selection and training of personnel going into the Clandestine Services. (2) They are opposed to the Employee Activity Association. (3) They are again concerned about the security of the Clandes- tine Services area, the fact that people can go in and out of the area at will, etc. (4) They are concerned about the regulatory burden on field stations. I told Kirk that I would be very happy to talk with Tom Karamessines or anyone else at any time about any or all of these matters. b. I advised Kirk that Sylvania is reported to be bringing suit against ESL, Dr. Perry's new company. c. I reported to Mr. Kirkpatrick on my meeting with Mr. Rex Whitton, the Federal Highway Administrator, and on my proposal to meet with Bob Daly to offer to vacate the Matomic Building if he can find other suitable downtown office space for us. d. Kirk advised me that General Carter had approved of a policy re- quiring Support components to supply specialists to all Support-type posi- tions on an Agency-wide basis. He requested that I prepare the necessary instructions for General Carter's signature. e. Kirk agreed with me that inasfar as possible our physical fitness room should be self-supporting. He believed that we could not subsidize it to the tune of three employees and $30, 000 a year. In fact, while he Approved For Release 2006/01/03 : CIA-RDP76-00183R000500030096-3 SECRET SECRET Approved FamRelease 2006/01/03 : CIA-RDP76-001$000500030096-3 approved of paying the salary of one employee from appropriated funds, he would like to see the whole program become self-supporting as quickly as possible. f. I briefed Kirk on the DD/S&T proposal to obtain senior scientists from industry, and he had no objection to this in principle. I therefore believe that it is unnecessary to obtain any further approval on this if the General Counsel assures me that it is all right. g. I talked with Kirk about establishing a policy on Call Directors, which are becoming a prestige symbol. We agreed that we should furnish Call Directors to each Deputy Director, Assistant Deputy Director, and one senior secretary to each such official. 2. I met w to discuss the activities of 25X1A9A the and agreed to meet with the Committee on Friday 25X1A morni 7 A ng, ugust. 3. I discussed several items with Mr. Kirkpatrick. a. I briefed Kirk on our conclusions on the case, and 25X1A9A he saw no necessity for further briefings for himself or General Carter. b. I reported to Mr. Kirkpatrick that Jim Garrison had agreed to apply for disability retirement. d. I also told Kirk that, while case was not settled, I could not foresee his return to duty or a considerable period and that I doubted if he could ever return to duty as Deputy Chief of the Medical Staff. He assure me t Hat they did not proceed told me that the has had I I further talks with Approved For Release 2006/01/03 : CIA-RDP76-00183R000500030096-3 25X1A8B 25X1C4C SECRET SECRET Approved For R&ease 2006/01/03 : CIA-RDP76-00183RQ0500030096-3 with these talks until Clyde had satisfied them that he did not wish to work in the Air America office here in Washington. He apparently does want to work for Tracy at a salary of $30, 000, which Tracy told me he was pre- pared to recommend. I told Tracy that without taking a firm stand on the matter at the moment I was not prepared to agree with anything above the grade GS-18 level, which will soon be $24,500. Tracy also said that Clyde was going to get in touch with me sometime soon to tell me personally about his feelings and his plans. 6. One da last week I asked I o see whether we could giv a copy of his consultant contract. Harry called today to say that the General Counsel had not yet approved the contract and that he understood there was some consideration being given to cancelling it. He therefore questioned the wisdom of giving copy. I told him to proceed as expeditiously as possible on the assumption that we would give LKW:jrf a copy and to let me know before doing so. Approved For Release 2006/01/03 : CIA-RDP76-00183R000500030096-3 25X1A9A 25X1A9A SECRET