Document Type: 
Document Number (FOIA) /ESDN (CREST): 
Release Decision: 
Original Classification: 
Document Page Count: 
Document Creation Date: 
December 14, 2016
Document Release Date: 
April 4, 2001
Sequence Number: 
Case Number: 
Publication Date: 
March 11, 1953
Content Type: 
PDF icon CIA-RDP80-00810A000300010006-1.pdf491.21 KB
Approved For Release 2001/11/21 : CIA-RDP80-0081OA000300010006-1 CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY INFORMATION REPORT This Document contains information affecting the Na- tional Defense of the United States, within the mean- ing of Title 18, Sections 793 and 794, of the U.S. Code, as amended. Its transmission or revelation of its content. to or receipt by an unauthorized person is prohibited by law. The reproduction of this form is prohibited. CONFIDENTIAL SECURITY INFORMATION COUNTRY SUBJECT USSR (Moscow MD) Soviet Troops and Supply Installations REPORT NO. DATE DISTR. 25X1A 11 March 1953 in the Moscow Military District NO. OF PAGES 9 DATE OF INFO. 25X1A REQUIREMENT NO. RD PLACE ACQUIRED REFERENCES THE SOURCE EVALUATIONS IN THIS REPORT ARE DEFINITIVE. THE APPRAISAL OF CONTENT IS TENTATIVE. (FOR KEY SEE REVERSE) This report contains information on Soviet Troops and Supply Installations in the Moscow Military District. It'aI o identii'ies an experimental mechanical factory (.E) which is subordinate to the Soviet Army Surveying headquarters in Noginsx and is directed by military personnel. CONFIDENTIAL STATE X ARMY t_X NAVY AIR X FBI AEC (Note, Washington Distribution Indicated By "X" Fldd DbMibu i " " Approved For Release~~~~12'I :CIA-RDP80-00810A000300010006-1 CONFIDENTIAL Approved For Release 2001/11/21 : CIA-RDP80-00810A000300010006-1 Moscow Prior to (N55-45, December E37-35) 1949. Prior to December 1949 . Prior to October 1949. Military Observations in the Moscow MO (City and Suburbs). Installation Location Occupation 1. Barracks install- Southwest of the ation of five three- central airport story billets, locat- in the north- ed in a courtyard which western sector was bounded by a line of Moscow, north of trees; a long stable; of Khoroshenskoye and-a new steel frame Shosse.; housed structure; equipped officers; billets with a wooden lattice were located fence along its south between the Shosse side and iron lattices and the installa- along the other sides, tion. Two old guns on bases were located at the main entrance. 2. Supply depot of Directly south of numerous brick buildings the central air- which served as store- port. houses; enclosed by a barbed wire fence and served by a railroad spur. Barracks installation On the southwest of one building with side of Leningrad two lateral wings, two Shosse and north stables, one veterinary. of the central hospital,. and one laun- airport. dry; enclosed by a wooden fence, two and one-half meters high. Prior to December 1949, the barracks were occupied by a cavalry unit of 500 to 800 men, including a band. The soldiers wore blue caps with red bands and light blue-bordered epaulets. The only weapons observed were carbines and pistols. The soldiers seemed to be well-disciplined. In simmer, only a small guard detail was located in the installation. Engines, tires, and spare parts for motor vehicles were stored in the depot. Tanks were frequently observed moving into the installation. The depot was guarded by soldiers wearing red- bordered epaulets. A. new installation; the barracks were completed in December 1949. After March 1949, it was occupied by about 60 troops and 30 horses. The only weapons observed were rifles. It appeared to accommodate an interrogation head- quarters in one section of the installation. according to the workers, the installation would be occupied by a mounted unit of several hundred men in the spring of 1950. Approved For IDEDRE /11/21: CIA-RDP80-00810A000300010006-1 Prior to August 1949. Prior to December 1949. Approved For Releacw Barracks installa- tion of one large U-shaped multi-story building, several secondary buildings constructed of wood or brick, and one three-story officers' mess;..enclosed by a wooden fence, two me- ters. high. Barracks installa- tion of one four- -story headquarters building; .one five- story building, about 120 meters long, with statues of Lenin and Stalin; one large T-shaped five-story building; ': CIA-RDP80-0081 OA000300010006-1 In the southern sector of the city, about four km south of the Kremlin, in a street fork with a Lenin monument located at its point, and near a radio tower. In the north- eastern sector of the city, in the borough of Bogorod- skoye, about 1,000 meters southeast of the Belokame- naya railroad station, on the southwest side of the railroad circle. one boiler house with a smokestack, 30 me- ters high; one radio station, with two towers about 2; meters high; and several secondary buildings; enclosed by a board fence, two meters high, with three watchtowers. It also included officers, billets and a laundry located outside the fence. Referred to as Cherniyevdkiy Barracks. Prior to August 1949, it was occupied by an infantry unit of several hundred men wearing red epaulets, one construction unit, and one air force unit, num- bering about 30 men. The infantry unit was re- ferred to as the guard battalion. It was equipped with rifles and submachine guns. One company marched out for guard duty daily and returned after 24 hours. Only a limited number of passen- ger cars was seen in the installation. a. After the spring of 1947, it was occupied by the headquarters and two regiments of an IM division commanded by a general. An NCO can- didate school was subordinate to the division. The total number of motor vehicles was estimated at 80 to 100 trucks, 30 to 40 passenger cars, and about 20 motorcycles. b. The building, about 120 meters long, quartered the Lenin Regiment, whose size exceeded 1,000 men. The soldiers wore yellow-bordered red epaulets. According to soldiers, the regiment had been locat- ed, after the war, originally in the Soviet Zone of Germany and, later, in Leningrad. The soldiers seemed to be excellent and very intelligent men. The missions of the regiment, which included a band, were confined to troop reviews, guards of honor, etc. The soldiers were equipped with rifles and submachine gums with disk magazines. Approved For Released CIA-RDP80-0081 OA000300010006-1 Prior to April 1949. Prior to September 1948. 25X1X Approved For Release 98 M'1I:IA-RDP80-0081 OA000300010006-1 -4- 1. Barracks instal- lation of several brick buildings.. In the borough of Bogorodskoye., c. The T-shaped billets quartered the so-called Small Regiment, which was referred to as the guard regiment. The size of the unit fluctuated but was estimated at 600 to 800 men. The soldiers wore black-bordered red epaulets. They were equip- ped with rifles, submachine guns, and light machine guns. The regiment had to provide guard details and transport escorts for Pis and convicts. instauation, it quarterea a IND. 2.. Barracks instal- lation of two three- -story buildings, about 40 meters long and inter- connected by a roofed gangway. 1, Military school of two U-shaped in- struction buildings and several secondary buildings. In:the north- eastern sector of the city, about 2,000 meters northeast of the Yaroslavl railroad station, opposite the southeast end of 11 Sokolniki Street. East of the central sector of the city, about 1,500 meters east of the Kursk railroad station, on the south side of'Krasno Kasarme- naya Square. Occupied by a unit, estimated at three or four companies in size, whose soldiers wore black- bordered black epaulets. The cnly weapons observed were rifles. In summer, the unit was absent. Foreign-Language Institute of the Soviet Army commanded by General Radlov (phonetic spelling) (fnu). The participants of the courses of in- struction included about 1,200 soldiers, ranging in rank from officer candidate to colo- nel, and about 300 girls. The staff personnel included about 400 men. According to Soviet soldiers, about 33 languages were taught. They stated that English, French, and German were pre- ferred. The goal of the courses was to pass the interpreters examination or to fulfill teaching requirements. Between June and August, 300 to 400 young participants and about 200 girls were transferred to a tent camp near Kubinka Approved For Rid .1 121 : CIA-RDP80-0081 OA000300010006-1 Prior to May 1948. 1948. 1947. .Prior to the fall of 1949. Approved For ReIeag9': CIA-RDP80-00810A000300010006-1 -5- 2. Motor vehicle assemb- Bordered the south ly shop, equipped with side of the in- a railroad spur. stitute described under paragraph 1. 3. Barracks installs- North of the in- tion. stitute on the east side of Nrrasno Kasarnenaya Square. 4. Military hospital, About 1,000 meters a large, installation northeast of the of numerous buildings, barracks instal- lation described in paragraph 3, and north of the WO Park. 1. AA position. In the eastern sector of the city, on the western perime- ter of the su- burb of -Izmaylo- vo, on the south- ern lore of a d. (155-35,E36-I2) to undergo infantry training. They were trained with infantry mortar weapons, with calibers up to 80 mm. The camp was located about 800 meters'south of the Moscow-Smolensk super highway, on the west aide of the Naro- -Fominsk (N-55--23.,E36-441, road. A barracks instal- lation referred to as the war college was located on the opposite aide of the road. A limited num- ber of tanks of Soviet and foreign wake were observed in the installation and the terrain around it. From 30 to 40 used trucks mere observed in the courtyard of the installation at all times. After overhauling the engines, rocket launchers were mounted on the trucks. Source estimated the number of the trucks converted at 80 to 100 monthly. Occupied by over 1,000 men of a tank unit. Several tanks, 15 to 20 76.2 mm AT gins towed by trucks, and motorcycles were observed in the barracks area. Soviet Army Central Hospital Burdenko (phonetic spelling). The capacity of the hospital was estimated at several thousand beds. After the simmer of 1949, eight heavy AA guns were observed in improved field emplacements. A large searchlight, a range finder about too tern wide, and -an undetermined number of radio cars were seen near the emplacements. truck mounting a rectangular antra, about 200x150 cm,with a wire netting was observed Approved FOp eleaa se 2001/11/21 : CIA-RDP80-0081OA000300010006-1 ENIAL Moscow- Prior to Tushino the fall (N55-5G9 of 194 q., E37-25) Prior to December 1949 Moscow- Prior to Rublevo December 1950. Septembe 1950. 25X1X CONFIDENTIAL Approved For Release 2001/11/21 : CIA-RDP80-0081 OA000300010006-1 2. AA position, 1. AA position. 2. Barracks instal- lation. 1. Supply depot. 2. Supply depot. East of Tushino airfield., on both sides of the ca- nal, and north and south of the Mos- cow-Tushino road crossing the canal. East of the air- field and east of the lock, on the Moscow-Tushino road. East of the lock and north of the Moscow-Tushino road. Area around and south of Babushkin (155-52,E37442) and Balashikha (N55-49.9,'937-51). Starting west of Moscow, extending along the Moscow- Brest Litovsk rail- road line. In the summer of 1949, three or four heavy guns of more than 100 mm were placed in each of four old AA positions. The crews were located in wooden cantonment buildings near the positions. Prior to December 1949, six AA, guns of about 80 mm were observed in improved emplacements, south of the above-mentioned road. The size of the crews, located in dug-in huts, was estimated at 200 men. occupied by a tank unit of 300 to 400 men. than 150 canvas-covered armored vehicles were seen near the camp. which seemed to be under construction., in the wooded terrain in the above mentioned area. In September 1950, numerous small depots con- taining apparently brand new guns or tanks were observed along the railroad line. New block- houses were located near the depots. Ramps constructed of unhewn trunks were along the railroad line which crossed the installation. Approved Forc5a 11111121: CIA-RDP80-0081OA000300010006-1 Moscow- Prior to Mytishchi October (N55?54, 1948. E37?44) Moscow- Prior to Vinogradovo December (N55-56, 1949. E37-32) Moscow Prior to Pushkino late 1948. (N56=O1, E37?51) Moscow- Prior to Monino November (N55-51, 1949. E38-12) Approved For Rel 11*1 : CIA-RDP80-00810A000300010006-1 Experimental me- In the suburb of The EIIZ factory was subordinate to the Soviet chanical factory, Mytishchi, between Army surveying headquarters in Noginsk (N55-50 of one four=sto- the road and the E38-28). Personalities of the factory staff ry administration railroad line to included Lt. Col. Turog (fnu) (phonetic spelling), building, with a Zagorsk (N56.'19, manager; Lt. Col. Zekhnovicher (phonetic spelling) compound attached E38=03). (fnu), deputy manager; and Major Krivoshok at a right angle, (phonetic spelling) (fnu), political officer. and a three-story The labor force included 30 to 40 male and female factory building; laborers, who worked one shift. For details on an apartment house; the raw materials as well asthe type and rate of and a storehouse; production, see page 9. enclosed by a wire fence. Barracks