The land mass seen across Rendezvous Bay is the island St. Martin, which is separated from Anguilla by the Anguilla Channel. Rendezvous Bay houses the longest beach in Anguilla and is the site of the Battle of Anguilla (1796). The engagement took place during the Napoleonic Wars; the French were dispatched from St. Martin and landed on the beach of Rendezvous Bay. The invaders destroyed Anguilla's plantations, which by 1821 had almost entirely disappeared from the island. Although, the French were eventually routed by the British, the island's plantations never recovered, forcing many Anguillans into maritime occupations.