Photos

Photo Details

8 of 19

Croatia

The Palace of the Slavonian General Command in Osijek is the former headquarters building for the Slavonian Military Frontier (part of the Habsburg Military Frontier guarding the border with Ottoman Empire). Constructed between 1724 and 1726, it is a synthesis of Renaissance and Baroque styles. Built on the orders of Prince Eugene of Savoy, it was the seat of the General Command between 1736 and 1786. From 1736 to 1745, it was also the administrative seat for the Kingdom of Slavonia. Today it serves as the office of the rector for the University of Osijek. Located on the northern side of the Holy Trinity square in Tvrđa, it is one of the symbols of Osijek and Croatia and is featured on the reverse of the Croatian 200-kuna banknote.