The Cathedral of Santa María la Menor is in the Colonial City of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Also known as Primada de América Cathedral, it is dedicated to St. Mary of the Incarnation. Constructed between 1514 and 1541, it was declared the first cathedral of the New World by the Pope Paul III, at the request of the emperor Charles V. The cathedral is fronted with a golden-tinted coral limestone façade. The building is mainly Gothic architecture. Prominently displayed on the upper part of the facade is the coat of arms of Charles V.