The interior of the Pantheon National in Santo Domingo. Constructed in the 18th century in the Baroque style, the building was originally designed as a convent for Jesuit priests, but later became a warehouse, a theater, and a government building. In 1956, it was renovated as a national mausoleum. A red carpet and national flags, a guard on sentinel duty, and the eternal flame lend reverence to the heroes interred. The light entering through the large glass window in the rear of the building illuminates the solemn interior. A copper chandelier in the center ceiling of the mausoleum reflects light from the building’s dome.