Holy Trinity Cathedral in Addis Ababa is considered the largest and most magnificent of all modern churches in Ethiopia. Originally begun in 1887 as a monastery church, it was expanded to a cathedral according to a European design between 1928 and 1931. Construction was completed in 1943. Today the church commemorates the liberation of Ethiopia from Italian occupation (1936-41). The tombs of the Emperor Haile Selassie, the Empress Menen Asfaw, as well as other members of the former imperial family lie within the cathedral.