The Szabadsad hid (Liberty or Freedom Bridge) was built between 1894 and 1896. It is a cantilever truss bridge with a suspended middle span, yet imitates the general outline of a chain-type bridge. Opened in the presence of Emperor Franz Joseph and named after him, the bridge features an art nouveau design, with mythological sculptures and the country’s coat of arms adorned on its side.
Budapest’s trams (“villamos”) have been vital to the city’s public transportation system for more than 150 years. Two of the tram lines cross the Danube River via the Liberty Bridge, offering tourists a view of the city.