118 of 173
jpg [33.6 kB, 640 x 480]
Obelisk in Piazza San Pietro (Saint Peter's Square) in Rome. It is 25.3 m high and dates from 1835 BC. It was brought from Egypt by the Emperor Caligula for his circus. It was moved to Saint Peter's Square by Pope Sixtus V in 1586.
Factbook photos—obtained from a variety of sources—are in the public domain and are copyright free.