A view of the statue of Neptune in the Presidential Palace courtyard in the center of Malta’s capital city, Valletta. The Palace is the official office of the president of the Republic of Malta and has been the seat of authority in Malta since the 16th century, when it was known as the Magistral Palace. The site was among the first to be built in the new city of Valletta with construction occurring between 1566 and 1571. Under the British it served as the Governor’s Palace. The House of Representatives used to be housed there until relocated to a new Parliament House at the entrance to Valletta.