United States

Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory


Passport/Visa Requirements

A foreign national or alien entering the US is generally required to present a passport and valid visa issued by a US Consular Official, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or are a lawful permanent resident of the US or a citizen of Canada. The VWP allows foreign nationals from certain countries to be admitted to the US under limited conditions and for a limited time without obtaining a visa. The foreign national must arrive on an approved carrier (if coming by air or sea), stay no more than 90 days (for pleasure, medical purposes, and/or business), and be able to prove they are not inadmissible. The foreign national is still required to have a passport. To obtain a list of VWP-eligible countries and VWP passport requirements, please visit https: www.dhs.gov and/or visa waiver program requirements. Note: all travelers transiting the US are subject to US customs and/or immigration laws.

US Embassy/Consulate


Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



See WHO recommendations



Mostly temperate but tropical in Hawaii and Florida, arctic in Alaska, semiarid in the great plains west of the Mississippi River, and arid in the Great Basin of the southwest; low winter temperatures in the northwest are ameliorated occasionally in January and February by warm chinook winds from the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains

Currency (Code)

Dollar (USD)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

120 V / 60 Hz / plug types(s): A, B

Plug Type APlug Type B

Major Languages

English, Spanish, Chinese, Hawaiian

Major Religions

Protestant 46.5%, Roman Catholic 20.8%, Jewish 1.9%, Mormon 1.6%, other Christian 0.9%, Muslim 0.9%, Jehovah's Witness 0.8%, Buddhist 0.7%, Hindu 0.7%

Time Difference

UTC-5 (during Standard Time); daylight saving time: +1hr, begins second Sunday in March; ends first Sunday in November; note: the 50 United States cover six time zones

Potable Water


International Driving Permit

Suggested for non-US citizens.

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Grand Canyon; Niagara Falls; Statue of Liberty; Washington, DC (includes White House, National Mall); Yellowstone National Park; Yosemite National Park; Denali National Park; Times Square; Golden Gate Bridge; Mesa Verde; Disney World/Land in Florida/California; Hawaii (includes Oahu, Maui, and island of Hawaii); Utah’s national parks; Las Vegas

Major Sports

American Football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, soccer, tennis

Cultural Practices

Honking your car horn unnecessarily can make drivers angry in America.

Tipping Guidelines

At restaurants, tip 15-20% of the bill, based on quality of service; if the service is bad, it’s customary to tip as low as 10%. For bartenders, tip $1 per drink or 15-20% of the total bill. Tip taxi drivers 10-15% of the fare. Tip housekeeping $2-3 per night; tip room service $1-2 per delivery, regardless of service charge; tip bellhops $1-2 per bag, or more if the bags are very heavy; $2-5 for valet; $1-2 for doormen if they hail a taxi; $5 and higher for concierge depending on the difficulty of the request.


Regional food items such as sauces, preserves, and candy; pottery; regional art including paintings and wood-carved items; Native American handcrafted items such as turquoise and beaded jewelry, sand paintings, and woven goods

Traditional Cuisine

Hamburger; Hot dog

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Monday, June 20, 2022