The Eschenheimer Turm (Eschenheim Tower) in Frankfurt, built in the early 15th century, served as a gate in the city's late-medieval fortifications. Today it is a landmark of the city.
The Goethe House at 23 Grosser Hirschgraben in the old town of Frankfurt was the residence of the Goethe family until 1795. The family's most notable personality, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, was born there in 1749, lived there till the age of 16, and returned sporadically throughout his life. The house stands next to the Goethe Museum (on the right).
The Eurotower (on the left) and Commerzbank Tower in the bankenviertel (financial district) of Frankfurt. The skyscapers were constructed 20 years apart, 1977 and 1997, respectively.
The Operturm (Opera Tower) in Frankfurt was opened in 2010 and is named after the Alte Oper (Old Opera House) that it faces, a corner of which may be glimpsed in the very center of the photo.
Inaugurated in 1880, the Alte Oper (Old Opera House) in Frankfurt still serves as a major concert hall, as well as a site for plays. Operas, however, are performed in the new Oper Frankfurt (Frankfurt Opera).
Fin de siecle architecture at the Alte Oper (Old Opera House) metro stop in Frankfurt.
An eccentric office building weaves its way through the financial district of Frankfurt.
An architectural sandwich in Frankfurt.
The Chamber of Commerce Building in Frankfurt. The city has been Germany's financial center for centuries, and it is the home of a number of major banks and brokerage houses. The Frankfurt Stock Exchange is Germany's largest and one of the most important in the world.
Monument honoring Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of mechanical movable type, in the Rossmarkt (old Horse Market) of Frankfurt. His invention in the mid-15th century launched the printing revolution and is regarded as one of the key developments of modern history.
An 18th century archway of the Palais Thurn und Taxis and 21st century skyscrapers (Nextower) provide for an interesting architectural juxtaposition in Frankfurt.
Located at the edge of the Hauptwache plaza is St. Catherine's Church, the largest Lutheran church in Frankfurt. Construction of the baroque church was completed in 1681. Destroyed by World War II bombing, it was rebuilt between 1950 and 1954.
Page 01 of 06