Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens exercise increased caution in Nepal due to the potential for isolated political violence.  Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws, and special circumstances in this country.

Passport/Visa Requirements

US citizens should make sure their passport will not expire for at least 6 months after they enter the country even if they do not intend to stay that long. They should also make sure they have at least 1 blank page in their passport for any entry stamp and or visa that will be required. A visa is required. US citizens will need to get in touch with the country’s embassy or nearest consulate to obtain a visa prior to visiting the country.

US Embassy/Consulate

+977 1 423-4000, +977 1 400-7272; US Embassy in Kathmandu, Embassy of the United States of America, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal;;

LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone

Ambulance: 228094; Fire: local number; Police: 100


An International Certificate of Vaccination for yellow fever is required for travelers arriving from countries with a risk of yellow fever transmission and for travelers having transited through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. See WHO recommendations.


Varies from cool summers and severe winters in north to subtropical summers and mild winters in south

Currency (Code)

Nepalese rupees (NPR)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

230 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): C, D, M

Plug Type CPlug Type DPlug Type M

Major Languages

Nepali, Maithali, Bhojpuri, Tharu, Tamang, Newar, Bajjika, Magar, Doteli, Urdu, Avadhi, Limbu, Gurung, Baitadeli; note: 123 languages reported as mother tongue

Major Religions

Hindu 81.3%, Buddhist 9%, Muslim 4.4%, Kirant 3.1%, Christian 1.4%

Time Difference

UTC+5.75 (10.75 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit

An IDP is required, and after 15 days, a local license is required.

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Kathmandu (includes Boudhanath Stupa, Durbar Square); Bhaktapur; Pokhara; Annapurna Circuit trek; Chitwan National Park; Lumbini (Buddha Birthplace)

Major Sports

Soccer, cricket, swimming, volleyball, tennis, martial arts

Cultural Practices

After food has touched ones lips, many Nepalese consider it unclean. This belief applies to drinking from bottled water, or offering to share snacks.

Tipping Guidelines

At restaurants, if a service charge has not been included, 10% of the bill is an acceptable tip. Porters may be tipped $2-4 (USD) per day, guides $3-5 (USD) per day.


Knotted/woven carpets and hemp items, wool pashminas, sheepskin slippers, woven caps, kukri knives, precious metal and turquoise jewelry, sacred scroll paintings, wood instruments, lokta bark paper, tea, kitchen spices

Traditional Cuisine

Dal Bhaath/Bhat — rice served with lentil soup and vegetable or meat curry

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Friday, June 23, 2023