Browse CIA Jobs
- Full time
- Starting salary: $58,070 - $159,286
- Bachelor’s or master's degree
- Foreign language bonus eligible
The Central Intelligence Agency's online application system will be unavailable from 5PM EST July 8th through 7 AM EST August 2nd for maintenance and system enhancements. During this time, you will be able to browse for jobs and collect the documents required for your application (e.g., transcripts, writing samples, etc.). You will not be able to add jobs to your cart or complete the application process. We apologize for the inconvenience, but look forward to receiving your application when the site becomes available on August 2nd.
About the Job
As a Cartographer, you will be responsible for researching, designing, and producing thematic and reference maps in support of CIA finished intelligence. Intelligence maps are designed for conveyance via mobile devices, web, and print. Cartographers work on regional accounts, such as: Africa, Eurasia, Western Hemisphere, Europe, Middle East, or South Asia-Oceania. Cartographers are encouraged to participate in internal training as well as external workshops, training, and conferences.
You will work as part of a cartographic or interdisciplinary team managing multiple mapping projects under minimal supervision. You will work with analytic colleagues to define project requirements and provide advice on processes and procedures for optimal visual presentation. You will be expected to develop and maintain sufficient regional expertise to provide substantive input into the final map product, including geographic features, Board on Geographic Names (BGN) rulings, key issues, and recent developments.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following with emphasis on statistical analysis:
- Geospatial Information Systems (GIS)
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale is preferred, but exceptions are made for extenuating circumstances
- Ability to collect, analyze, and integrate geographic and substantive data into an effectively designed cartographic product
- Knowledge of cartographic design principles including color and symbology theory, map projections, thematic and statistical mapping, topographic and reference mapping, display hierarchies, typography, and data generation
- Knowledge of GIS principles including data types; data layers; basic geographic, analytic and statistical functions; geographic coordinate systems; and data formatting
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Proficient in the use of, or be rapidly gaining expertise with the software, hardware, and platforms necessary for cartographic, graphic, and web/mobile production, such as some of the following:
- ESRI ArcGIS
- Programming languages
- Avenza MAPublisher
- Intergraph GeoMedia Pro
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe software such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat
- Experience with the Adobe suite of software and web and mobile conveyance
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- Cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.
- Portfolio of five (5) or more cartographic samples (PDF or url link to a non-account/password-protected website) should be submitted from applicants considered for this position.