Field IT Engineer
About the Job
As a Field IT Engineer for CIA, you are responsible for the installation, operation, and maintenance of computer, network and telecommunications systems in Agency data centers worldwide. Participating in the full project life cycle, you will plan, upgrade, modify, configure, and document communications systems and associated infrastructure.
Systems include LAN/WAN technology, terrestrial and RF communications platforms (to include satellite, VHF/UHF and microwave systems), uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), cryptographic equipment, and fiber optics. In a supporting role, you will also perform installation, operation, and maintenance of AC power distribution grids, emergency power generators, transformers, automatic voltage regulators (AVR), and heating ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC).
The capacity and commitment to serve globally is essential. Field IT Engineers typically work overseas in a temporary travel status up to 50% of the time. Some assignments may be in difficult, harsh, and challenging environments.
Opportunities to live and work overseas are also available and most Field IT Engineers live abroad at some point in their careers. Field IT Engineers receive benefits and allowances for travel that positively impact their overall compensation.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Associate/Technical degree preferably in a STEM discipline to include:
- Electronics and Communications Engineering Technology
- Computer Network Systems
- Computer Science or related field
- Information Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Or, equivalent relevant civilian or military experience (minimum of four (4) years documented experience) in the following areas:
- Installation and maintenance of network infrastructure in an IT enterprise
- Electrical/Electrician Trades
- Data network installer
- Applied Science for Electrical Technology
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds when supporting installations or special requirements
- Ability to climb ladders, stoop, bend, and reach for extended periods of time
- Ability to work independently and closely with other professionals
- Dynamic and flexible professional approach
- Strong desire to learn
- Accountability for actions
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Desired certifications include:
- Project Management
- Fiber Optics
- Journeyman license or equivalent certification in IT Infrastructure or Electrical trade
- OSHA certifications
- BICSI certifications
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for degrees
- Cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.