All applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens (dual U.S. citizens also eligible)
- At least 18 years of age
- Willing to move to the Washington, DC area
- Able to complete security and medical evaluations
- Registered for the Selective Service
About the Job
As an Interactive Designer, you will create a wide variety of products that convey intelligence analysis to the President of the United States, U.S. policymakers, and other officials. You may also create training materials and other important material. All products are designed for conveyance via mobile devices, web, and print. You will work as a member of a team focusing on one or more specialties, such as graphic design, cartography, 3D animation, motion graphics, illustration, Virtual Reality, scripting, and imagery.
Opportunities exist to participate in internal training as well as external workshops and conferences, and you will be expected to develop and maintain your skills commensurate with industry-wide best practices.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
Read more about diversity and inclusion
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following:
- Computer Science
- Fine Arts with strong emphasis in graphic design
- Geospatial Information Systems (GIS)
- Graphic Design
- Interactive Design
- Motion Graphics
- Visual Communications
- 3D animation
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale is preferred, but exceptions are made for extenuating circumstances
- Ability to shape and lead solutions to data visualization in an increasingly complex and changing technological environment
- Strong creative portfolio demonstrating good use of typography, grid-based design, white space, and color theory
- Experience with the ESRI (or similar) GIS Suite and familiarity with cartoCSS and map tile presentation libraries such as Leaflet, OpenLayers, and/or Cesium
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required to work and interface with customers, coworkers, and management
- Knowledge of multimedia production tools and methodology and a strong technical aptitude to quickly learn new software and hardware
- Strong interest in continuous learning, information design, and technology (mobile and web)
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Augmented/virtual reality, motion visuals, storytelling, 3D animation, design for video output
- Experience creating wireframes, storyboards, and prototypes for use in design review and user testing
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills