Browse CIA Jobs
Open Source Collection Specialist
- Full time
- Starting salary: $64,137 - $134,798
- Bachelor’s degree
- Foreign language bonus eligible
- Opportunities for travel are possible
The Central Intelligence Agency's online application system will be unavailable from 5PM EST July 8th through 7 AM EST August 2nd for maintenance and system enhancements. During this time, you will be able to browse for jobs and collect the documents required for your application (e.g., transcripts, writing samples, etc.). You will not be able to add jobs to your cart or complete the application process. We apologize for the inconvenience, but look forward to receiving your application when the site becomes available on August 2nd.
About the Job
As an Open Source Collection Specialist (OSCS), you will manage the systematic collection of publicly available information in a given region or a subject area to meet customer needs. The information is known as Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) and includes traditional mass media, the internet, specialized journals, studies, conference proceedings, geospatial information, and more. In some cases, OSCSs act as collectors themselves. Some OSCSs work in traditional library environments, while others work in geographic- or subject area-based components.
Open Source Collection Specialists develop strategies and plans for the collection of OSINT, including the tools and methodologies needed to accomplish the task. You will:
- Drive integrated information gathering on a strategic topic, regional, or cross-regional need
- Research and acquire publicly available information in response to intelligence gaps
- Identify relevant sources for data collection
- Manage financial or personnel resources associated with collection, including contracts
- Help develop, acquire, evaluate and/or implement collection tools and methodologies
- Help develop metadata schema or other information discoverability processes
Domestic and/or foreign travel may be required.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following with emphasis on statistical analysis:
- Area Studies
- Data Management
- Foreign Language/Linguistics (or a related field)
- International Studies
- Library/Information Science
- Media Studies
- Political Studies
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale is preferred, but exceptions are made for extenuating circumstances
- Critical thinking and research skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work within an ambiguous, evolving digital environment as a member of a collaborative team
- At least two (2) years’ experience (including academic studies) in at least one of the following:
- Data Management
- Information management/information science/librarianship
- Management of financial or personnel resources
- Management of language program
- Participation in the development and/or implementation of Human Language Technologies or other collection technologies
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Moderate proficiency in foreign languages
- Experience managing complex projects
- Experience designing or managing contracts
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- Cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.