Open Source Exploitation Officer
- Full time
- Starting salary: $64,137 - $134,798
- Bachelor's degree
- Foreign language bonus eligible
- Opportunities for travel are possible
There are currently no openings for this position. Please check back periodically as our hiring needs change.
About the Job
As an Open Source Exploitation Officer (OSEO) for CIA, you will discover, collect, and assess foreign-based, publicly available information, also known as Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) in a dynamic, ever-expanding digital environment. OSINT spans traditional media, academic papers, geospatial data and technology, datasets, and social media. OSINT plays an important role in all aspects of Agency work. As an OSEO, you will develop plans that use effective tools and methodologies to research and collect open source information. Using your knowledge of a geographic or subject area, the open source information environment, and language proficiency, you will tackle complex problems like understanding messaging, reaction, and influence and convey your findings in written products and briefings.
Opportunities for domestic and foreign travel are possible.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields or related studies:
- Area Studies
- International Studies
- Media Studies
- Political Studies
- National Security Studies
- Foreign language/Linguistics
- STEM degrees
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong analytic and research skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with a dynamically evolving digital environment as a member of a diverse, collaborative and often dispersed team
- Ability to research and collect publicly available, internet or social media, commercially acquired, and emerging information responsive to intelligence needs
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Experience with the collection or analysis of open source data on real world problems
- Foreign language skills, or a desire to expand those skills
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative analysis of communications
- Graduate degree
What You’ll Need to Apply
The following items must be attached to your on-line application (PDF format preferred):
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- Cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for one or more positions. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.
- A writing sample, five (5) pages MAXIMUM, single spaced, technical or analytic paper that focuses on your current area of expertise or interest and is related to your interest in positions at CIA. You can excerpt longer papers.