Safety and Occupational Health Specialist
All applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens (dual U.S. citizens also eligible)
- At least 18 years of age
- Willing to move to the Washington, DC area
- Able to complete security and medical evaluations
- Registered for the Selective Service
About the Job
Responsibilities of the Safety and Occupational Health Specialist include:
- Coordinate all safety and health (S&H) compliance programs at the location of assignment
- Conduct S&H inspections to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and prevailing professional standards and practices
- Develop and implement S&H policies and programs
- Provide S&H training to personnel including managers and supervisors
- Conduct industrial hygiene (IH) monitoring to verify personnel are protected from occupational exposures
- Analyze and Investigate S&H incidents to ensure that action is taken to correct deficiencies or violations of established standards
- Investigate employee complaints and suggestions regarding hazardous conditions
- Evaluate new and existing jobs, processes, or products to determine existence and severity of hazards and recommend controls
- Maintain S&H records and manage support contracts, to include acting as the contracting officer’s representative
- Provide technical guidance on S&H issues
- Coordinate on all construction activities to ensure S&H is considered in the planning & decision-making
- Develop & execute a budget
- Brief leadership on risks and recommend mitigations
- Interact with Federal, state and local regulatory officials.
This position requires a commitment to serve where mission needs are located. You must maintain an ongoing readiness to travel and relocate to meet short and long-term organizational requirements. A commitment to travel overseas, including hardship locations, is required.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
Read more about diversity and inclusion
What You’ll Get
Our benefits support every aspect of a working professional’s life, including health and wellness, time off, family, finances, and continuing education. Our programs include highly sought-after government health benefits, flexible schedules, sick leave, and childcare. In some cases, we also offer sign-on incentives and cover moving expenses if you relocate.
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields or related studies:
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Industrial Hygiene
- Public Health
- Safety Sciences
- Safety Risk Management
- GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4-point scale is preferred, but exceptions may be made for extenuating circumstances.
- Excellent verbal, quantitative, and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated self-starter, who is flexible, detail-oriented, and is able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willing to take on additional duties related to the Environmental Protection and Compliance field, as well as become a subject matter expert in a specific S&H area
- Willing to travel & regularly rotate assignments/locations