Browse CIA Jobs
Undergraduate Internship/Co-op Program-Multidisciplinary Print Production Specialist
About the Job
As a Multi-Disciplinary Print Production Specialist Undergraduate Intern for CIA, you will work for Imaging & Publishing Support, the premier print production facility of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Intelligence Community. You will have the opportunity to learn the occupational disciplines within the publication field. You will work alongside Subject Matter Experts to learn the publishing field basics, including Prepress, Press, Bindery, Large Format Print, and Digital Printing within a singular progressive skills and competency-based system. At this level, Specialists typically perform a variety of entry level/apprentice responsibilities through a monthly rotation and all work is performed under close supervision. The occupation is highly diverse, and the duties and responsibilities described below can vary depending upon assignment and the requirements of specific projects during your tour of duty.
- Prepress: Learn the fundamentals of the FUJI XMF and Windows Operating Systems within the of the Prepress Network in order to facilitate the customers’ requirements into the print production system.
- Press: Assist in the operation of the large format computer controlled conventional offset printing press. Operations include paper stock handling, production make-ready, print color and quality control, press wash-up, and regular maintenance.
- Bindery: Learn the basic operations of the paper cutter, folders, saddle-stitch machine, and other related equipment. Incumbents will also learn basic dissemination skills when handling classified materials.
- Digital Print Technician: Learn the operation of large high-speed digital production equipment to produce intelligence reports, manuals, maps, and other operational support publications. Incumbents will also learn basic digital binding techniques.
- Large Format Print: Learn to create large format maps, charts, and mounted posters while operating several large format production plotters in support of the operational mission.
Specialists will perform duties within a team environment. Some occupations requires physical exertion such as long periods of standing; recurring bending, crouching or stretching; and recurring lifting of moderately heavy equipment and materials. Some functions are performed within a noisy environment, with possible contact with unpleasant odors from chemicals, solvents, and cleaning solutions. The work is performed in shifts and overtime may be necessary, depending on workload and project requirements.
Who You’ll Work With
At the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), we recognize our Nation’s strength comes from the diversity of its people. People from a broad range of backgrounds and viewpoints work at CIA, and our diverse teams are the reason we can keep our country safe.
What You’ll Get
The CIA offers various benefits to students, including:
- Paid time off
- Federal health and life insurance
- Education and training
- Health services
- Child care center
- Credit union
As a CIA employee, you’ll also get the satisfaction of knowing your work is part of something bigger than yourself. Our work is driven by one mission: to keep our Nation safe. Every day is an opportunity to enhance U.S. national security.
- Experience working within a copier/print production environment
- Academic studies in graphic technology
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA, including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- A strong desire to learn new skills and a willingness to develop themselves across a wide variety specialized publishing operations
- A basic knowledge of the computer operating systems and programs such as Windows, Adobe, and InDesign
- Ability to read and interpret work orders and while taking directions from Subject Matter Experts
- Ability to work independently as instructed after obtaining the proper training as production dictates
- Ability to perform duties in a team environment while effectively communicating with other team members
- Ability to convey technical information through effective communication techniques, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and follows specific detailed instructions
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees
- A cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.