Hong Kong

Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens exercise increased caution when traveling to the Hong Kong SAR due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws.


Passport/Visa Requirements

For the latest passport and visa requirements for this country, please consult the U.S. State Department’s “Learn About Your Destination” search tool, available through the link below.


US Embassy/Consulate

[852] 2523-9011; US Consulate General in Hong Kong, 26 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong; acshk@state.gov; https://hk.usconsulate.gov/

LGBTQIA+ Travelers


Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Hong Kong: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia, influenza, and COVID-19.



Subtropical monsoon; cool and humid in winter, hot and rainy from spring through summer, warm and sunny in fall

Currency (Code)

Hong Kong dollars (HKD)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

220 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): G

Plug Type G

Major Languages

Cantonese, English, Mandarin, other Chinese dialects

Major Religions

Buddhist or Taoist, Protestant, Roman Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, note: many people practice Confucianism, regardless of their religious affiliation.

Time Difference

UTC+8 (13 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water


International Driving Permit


Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Victoria Peak; Tian Tan Buddha; Hong Kong Disneyland; Ocean Park; Wong Tai Sin Temple; Victoria Harbour (includes Symphony of Lights, Avenue of Stars); Tai Po Kau Nature Reserve

Major Sports

Soccer, dragon boat racing, badminton

Cultural Practices

Hong Kong Chinese may stand close when talking. However, they are reserved and uncomfortable with body contact.

Tipping Guidelines

A 10% service charge is usually included at most restaurants, but you can leave coins if paying with cash or round up the amount you wish to tip if paying by credit card. Round up taxi fares to the nearest dollar. Taxi drivers sometimes will round up to the nearest dollar to tip themselves. Tip bellhops 2-3 (HKD) per bag.


Chinese-made goods including silk and cotton items, jade statues, silk paintings, and printed chopsticks; tailored clothing; electronics and computer equipment; bone porcelain items

Traditional Cuisine

Sweet and Sour Pork — spare ribs or pork loin with a scarlet sauce made of vinegar, preserved plums, and hawthorn candy; Roast goose – roasted goose with a delicately crispy skin traditionally served over white rice with a sweet plum sauce on the side

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Thursday, May 09, 2024