American Samoa

Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

Exercise normal precautions.

Passport/Visa Requirements

A foreign national or alien entering the US is generally required to present a passport and valid visa issued by a US Consular Official, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or are a lawful permanent resident of the US or a citizen of Canada. The VWP allows foreign nationals from certain countries to be admitted to the US under limited conditions and for a limited time without obtaining a visa. The foreign national must arrive on an approved carrier (if coming by air or sea), stay no more than 90 days (for pleasure, medical purposes, and/or business), and be able to prove they are not inadmissible. The foreign national is still required to have a passport. To obtain a list of VWP-eligible countries and VWP passport requirements, please visit https: and/or visa waiver program requirements. Note: all travelers transiting the US are subject to US customs and/or immigration laws.

US Embassy/Consulate


LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone

911 (USA)


See WHO recommendations


Tropical marine, moderated by southeast trade winds; annual rainfall averages about 3 m (10 feet); rainy season (November to April), dry season (May to October); little seasonal temperature variation; the temperature typically varies from 25°C - 31°C (77°F to 88°F) and is rarely below 23°C (74°F)

Currency (Code)

US $ (USD)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

120 V / 60 Hz / plug types(s): A, B, F, I

Plug Type APlug Type BPlug Type FPlug Type I

Major Languages

Samoan 88.6%, English 3.9%, Tongan 2.7%, other Pacific islander 3%

Major Religions

Christian 98.3%

Time Difference

UTC-11 (6 hours behind Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water


International Driving Permit

Suggested for non-US citizens.

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

National Park of American Samoa (includes Ofu Beach, Pola Island); National Marine Sanctuary of American Samoa (Fagatele Bay); Leone Church; Pago Pago Harbor; Tia Seu Lupe Park; Jean P. Haydon Museum; Rose Atoll

Major Sports

Football, rugby, soccer

Cultural Practices

In a traditional home, called a fale (fah-LAY), sit on the floor before talking, eating, or drinking. Cross your legs or pull a mat over them, as it is impolite to stretch out your legs.

Tipping Guidelines

Tipping is not part of the culture, so leaving a few extra dollars is appreciated. Be sure to hand the tip directly to the employee to ensure the right person receives it. Tip hotel porters $2 (USD) dollars per bag. Taxi drivers would appreciate rounding up to the nearest even figure.


Tapa bark cloth, traditional clothing, shell purses and handicrafts, wood carvings, woven mats

Traditional Cuisine

Panipopo — a dessert consisting of buns baked in a sweet and sticky coconut cream sauce

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Tuesday, September 05, 2023