El Salvador

Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens Reconsider Travel to El Salvador due to crime. 


Passport/Visa Requirements

For the latest passport and visa requirements for this country, please consult the U.S. State Department’s “Learn About Your Destination” search tool, available through the link below.


US Embassy/Consulate

[503] 2501-2999; US Embassy in San Salvador, Final Boulevard Santa Elena, Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad, El Salvador; https://sv.usembassy.gov/; ACSSanSal@state.gov

LGBTQIA+ Travelers


Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for El Salvador: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia, influenza, and COVID-19.



Tropical; rainy season (May to October); dry season (November to April); tropical on coast; temperate in uplands

Currency (Code)

US $ (USD)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

120 V / 60 Hz / plug types(s): A, B

Plug Type APlug Type B

Major Languages

Spanish, Nawat

Major Religions

Roman Catholic, Protestant, (Evangelical - unspecified, Evangelical - Methodist, Evangelical - Baptist), none

Time Difference

UTC-6 (1 hour behind Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit

Suggested; additionally, if you plan to drive in El Salvador, you will need an Inter-American Driving Permit issued by the AAA

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Suchitoto; Ruta de las Flores; Lake Ilopango; Montecristo National Park; Puerta del Diablo; Joya de Ceren Archaeological Site

Major Sports

Soccer, beach soccer, cycling, basketball, boxing

Cultural Practices

Salvadorans enjoy socializing and are extremely hospitable. After eating, it is considered polite to spend at least an hour conversing with your hosts instead of leaving right away.

Tipping Guidelines

At most upscale restaurants, the tip will be included in the bill. If you do leave a tip, 10% is appropriate. Taxi drivers do not expect a tip. Hotel staff, such as bellhops or porters would appreciate a $1 (USD) per bag tip.


Sorpresa ceramic figurines, silk bahia band bracelets, wooden toys, wicker furniture, hammocks, native clothing, painted-wood household and decorative items

Traditional Cuisine

Pupusa — a thick griddle cake made with cornmeal or rice flour usually stuffed with ingredients such as cheese, chicharrón (fried pork skin), squash, or refried beans; typically served with curtido (spicy fermented cabbage slaw) and tomato salsa

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Thursday, May 09, 2024