Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens Reconsider Travel to Honduras due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws, and special circumstances in this country.


Passport/Visa Requirements

US citizens should make sure their passport will not expire for at least 6 months after they enter the country even if they do not intend to stay that long. They should also make sure they have at least 1 blank page in their passport for any entry stamp that will be required. A visa is not required as long as you do not stay in the country more than 89 days.

US Embassy/Consulate

+(504) 2236-9320 or +(504) 2238-5114; EMER: +(504) 2238-5114 or +(504) 2236-9320; US Embassy Tegucigalpa, Avenida La Paz, Tegucigalpa M.D.C., Honduras; usahonduras@state.gov; https://hn.usembassy.gov/

LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.


Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone

Ambulance: 195, 37, 8654; Fire: 198; Police: 119


An International Certificate of Vaccination for yellow fever is required for travelers arriving from countries with a risk of yellow fever transmission and for travelers having transited through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. Suggested vaccinations: measles, rubella, rabies, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid. See WHO recommendations.



Subtropical in lowlands, temperate in mountains

Currency (Code)

Lempiras (HNL)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

120 V / 60 Hz / plug types(s): A, B

Plug Type APlug Type B

Major Languages

Spanish, Amerindian dialects

Major Religions

Roman Catholic 46%, Protestant 41%, atheist 1%

Time Difference

UTC-6 (1 hour behind Washington, DC during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit

IDP honored; be sure to check into an INTER-AMERICAN DRIVING PERMIT also issued by AAA

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Bay Islands (includes Roatan, Utila); Copán Archeological Site; Mayan Sculpture Museum (Copan); Lago de Yojoa; Punta Sal; Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve

Major Sports

Soccer, baseball, tennis, swimming, basketball

Cultural Practices

It is common to turn one's head and purse lips in the direction one is pointing towards.

Tipping Guidelines

A tip of 10-15% of the bill at a restaurant is considered a good tip. Leaving the equivalent of $2-3 (USD) per night for housekeeping is acceptable.


Mahogany wood carvings, cigars, leather goods, straw work, pottery, shell items, woven cloth hammocks, replica Mayan items and corn husk dolls, coffee

Traditional Cuisine

Plato típico — a variety of foods prepared separately, but forming a complete meal in the end; the dish consists of marinated and grilled beef, pork sausages and cracklings, fried plantains, stewed or refried beans, and rice; traditionally served with sour cream, fresh white cheese, avocado slices, marinated cabbage, lime juice, and small tortillas

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Wednesday, May 03, 2023