Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens reconsider travel to Jamaica due to crime and medical services. U.S. government personnel under Chief of Mission (COM) security responsibility are prohibited from traveling to many areas due to increased risk. 


Passport/Visa Requirements

US citizens should make sure their passport is valid at the date of their entering the country and during the length of their entire visit. They should also make sure they have at least 1 blank page in their passport for any entry stamp that will be required. A visa is not required for stays of less than 90 days.

US Embassy/Consulate

[1] (876) 702-6000; US Embassy in Kingston, 142 Old Hope Road, Kingston 6, Jamaica, WI; KingstonACS@state.gov; https://jm.usembassy.gov/

LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.


Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone

Ambulance: 110; Fire: 110; Police: 119


The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Jamaica: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia, influenza and COVID-19.



Tropical; hot, humid; temperate interior

Currency (Code)

Jamaican dollars (JMD)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

110 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): A, B

Plug Type APlug Type B

Major Languages

English, English patois

Major Religions

Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Rastafarian

Time Difference

UTC-5 (same time as Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Yes, but some opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit

If your driver's license doesn't have a stamped photograph, an IDP is required.

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Negril Beach & Negril Cliffs; rafting the Martha Brae River; Dunn's River Falls; Blue & John Crow Mountains National Park; Port Antonio; Doctor's Cave Beach

Major Sports

Soccer, cricket, track and field, netball, rugby

Cultural Practices

Men often pat each other's shoulder or arm during greetings or conversation. Always wait until invited before using someone's first name.

Tipping Guidelines

Tipping 10-20% is appropriate in nicer restaurants. Before tipping at a hotel, be sure to check if tips are even allowed. In some cases, employees can be fired if caught taking gifts or money.


Hand-loomed, embroidered, and batik fabric; silkscreens and oil paintings, wood carvings; raffia, straw, and wicker items; rum, coffee, pottery and ceramics, bead and shell jewelry

Traditional Cuisine

Ackee and saltfish — boiled ackee (a pear-shaped fruit) and salted codfish sautéd with onions and tomatoes; sometimes served over bammy (deep-fried cassava cakes) with fried plantains

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Wednesday, January 24, 2024