Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens Reconsider Travel to the People’s Republic of China (PRC), including the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) and the Macau SAR, due to arbitrary enforcement of local laws and COVID-19-related restrictions. Exercise increased caution in the PRC due to wrongful detentions. Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws, and special circumstances in Macau.

Passport/Visa Requirements

US citizens should make sure their passport will not expire for at least 1 month after they enter the country even if they do not intend to stay that long. They should also make sure they have at least 1 blank page in their passport for any entry stamp that will be required. A visa is not required as long as you do not stay in the country more than 30 days.

US Embassy/Consulate

US has no offices in Macau; US Consulate General in Hong Kong is accredited to Macau; US citizens may call US Dept of State (202)-501-4444 for emergencies; alternate contact is the Consulate General in Hong Kong [852] 2523-9011; US Consulate General in Hong Kong, 26 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong

LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



See WHO recommendations


Subtropical; marine with cool winters, warm summers

Currency (Code)

Patacas (MOP)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

220 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): G

Plug Type G

Major Languages

Cantonese, Mandarin, other Chinese dialects, Tagalog, English, Portuguese

Major Religions

folk religion 58.9%, Buddhist 17.3%, Christian 7.2%

Time Difference

UTC+8 (13 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit


Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Fortaleza do Monte; Maritime Museum & Fisherman's Wharf; Macau Tower; Giant Panda Pavilion; Guia Fortress; Coloane Island & Hac Sa Beach; Taipa Island & Taipa House; Senado (Senate) Square; Ruins of Saint Paul’s

Major Sports

Soccer, volleyball, basketball, dragon boat racing

Cultural Practices

Shake hands but never kiss someone's cheek in greeting.

Tipping Guidelines

A 10% service charge is usually included in most restaurants, but you can leave coins if paying with cash or round up the amount you wish to tip if paying by credit card. If a service charge is not included, you can leave 5-10% of the bill for good service. Round up taxi fares to the nearest dollar amount. Tip bellhops $1-2 (USD) per piece of luggage carried. Hotel staff, except bellhops, do not expect tips.


Jewelry/watches, traditional silk robes; Chinese-inspired paintings, jade statues, and tea sets

Traditional Cuisine

Minchee — minced or ground beef or pork flavored with molasses and soy sauce and served with a fried egg on top

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Wednesday, May 03, 2023