US State Dept Travel Advisory

Passport/Visa Requirements

For the latest passport and visa requirements for this country, please consult the U.S. State Department’s “Learn About Your Destination” search tool, available through the link below.

US Embassy/Consulate


LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Northern Mariana Islands: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia, COVID-19, and influenza.


Tropical marine; moderated by northeast trade winds, little seasonal temperature variation; dry season December to June, rainy season July to October

Currency (Code)

US dollar is used

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

120 V / 60 Hz / plug types(s): A, B

Plug Type APlug Type B

Major Languages

Philippine languages, Chamorro, English, other Pacific island languages, Chinese, other Asian languages

Major Religions

Christian (Roman Catholic majority, although traditional beliefs and taboos may still be found)

Time Difference

UTC+10 (15 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Yes, but some opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit

Suggested for non-US citizens.

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Saipan Grotto Cave; Managaha Island; American Memorial Park; Saipan Battlefields; Mount Tapochao; Suicide Cliff; Bird Island

Major Sports

Baseball, basketball, mixed martial arts, ultimate (flying disc)

Cultural Practices

Respect is an important aspect of the culture here. It is important to greet elders when you meet them. A greeting can be by a handshake, a nod, a bow, or a kiss on the hand. Being a largely Christian island, it is important to dress modestly, especially around elderly people.

Tipping Guidelines

A tip of 10-18% is common in restaurants. Tip taxi drivers about 10% of the fare. Bellboys usually get about $2 (USD) per luggage item.


Traditional sarongs, shell jewelry, wishing dolls, coconut- and wood-carved crafts, crab shell crafts

Traditional Cuisine

Kelaguen — chicken, meat, or raw seafood marinated in lemon juice, salt, and hot peppers topped with coconut and scallions; the chicken or meat is grilled while the seafood is prepared raw and “cooked” for only a few hours in lemon juice

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Thursday, May 09, 2024