Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens DO NOT TRAVEL to Russia due to the unpredictable consequences of the unprovoked full-scale invasion of Ukraine by Russian military forces, the potential for harassment and the singling out of U.S. citizens for detention by Russian government security officials, the arbitrary enforcement of local law, limited flights into and out of Russia, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, and the possibility of terrorism. U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Russia should depart immediately. Exercise increased caution due to the risk of wrongful detentions. Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws, and special circumstances in this country.

Passport/Visa Requirements

For the latest passport and visa requirements for this country, please consult the U.S. State Department’s “Learn About Your Destination” search tool, available through the link below.

US Embassy/Consulate

[7] (495) 728-5000; US Embassy Moscow, Bolshoy Deviatinsky, Pereulok No. 8, Moscow 121099, Russian Federation;;

LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Russia: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, tickborne encephalitis, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia, influenza, and COVID-19.


Ranges from steppes in the south through humid continental in much of European Russia; subarctic in Siberia to tundra climate in the polar north; winters vary from cool along Black Sea coast to frigid in Siberia; summers vary from warm in the steppes to cool along Arctic coast

Currency (Code)

Russian rubles (RUB)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

220 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): C, F

Plug Type CPlug Type F

Major Languages

Russian, Tatar, Chechen

Major Religions

Russian Orthodox, Muslim, other Christian

Time Difference

UTC+3 (8 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time); note: Russia has 11 time zones, the largest number of contiguous time zones of any country in the world; in 2014, two time zones were added and daylight saving time dropped

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit


Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Moscow (includes Kremlin & Red Square, Saint Basil Cathedral); Suzdal; Lake Baikal; Saint Sophia Cathedral (Veliky Novgorod); Kizhi Island; Valley of Geysers; Mount Elbrus; Saint Petersburg (includes Hermitage Museum, Saint Isaac’s Cathedral, Peterhof Palace)

Major Sports

Soccer, ice hockey, handball, basketball, tennis

Cultural Practices

Leaving a small amount of food on your plate indicates that your host has provided ample hospitality.

Tipping Guidelines

Tip between 10-15% of the bill at restaurants. A porter or bellhop should receive 30-90 rubles or $1-3 (USD) per bag to carry luggage to a room. Hotel housekeeping would appreciate between 60-120 rubles per day. Tipping taxi drivers is not necessary.


Matryoshka nesting dolls, Soviet-era memorabilia, amber jewelry, lacquer boxes, Faberge egg reproductions, hand-painted icons

Traditional Cuisine

Pelmeni — bite-sized dough dumplings filled with a variety of ingredients including pork, beef, fish, spices, mushrooms, onions, and other vegetables and boiled; typically served with sour cream

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Thursday, March 28, 2024