Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens exercise increased caution in Sweden due to terrorism. Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws, and special circumstances in this country.


Passport/Visa Requirements

For the latest passport and visa requirements for this country, please consult the U.S. State Department’s “Learn About Your Destination” search tool, available through the link below.


US Embassy/Consulate

[46] (08) 783 53 00; US Embassy in Stockholm, Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31, SE-115 89 Stockholm, Sweden; STKACSinfo@state.gov; https://se.usembassy.gov/

LGBTQIA+ Travelers


Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Sweden: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tickborne encephalitis, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia, influenza, and COVID-19.



Temperate in south with cold, cloudy winters and cool, partly cloudy summers; subarctic in north

Currency (Code)

Swedish kronor (SEK)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

230 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): C, F

Plug Type CPlug Type F

Major Languages

Swedish; note: Finnish, Sami, Romani, Yiddish, and Meankieli are official minority languages

Major Religions

Church of Sweden (Lutheran), other (includes Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Baptist, Muslim, Jewish, and Buddhist), none or unspecified

Time Difference

UTC+1 (6 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time); daylight saving time: +1hr, begins last Sunday in March, ends last Sunday in October

Potable Water


International Driving Permit


Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Stockholm (includes Vasa Museum, Skansen, Djurgarden, Gamla Stan, Drottningholm); Stockholm Archipelago; Birka & Hovgarden; Tanum petroglyphs; Malmo

Major Sports

Soccer, ice hockey, handball, floorball (a type of floor hockey), golf

Cultural Practices

Swedish society is based on equality and individualism. Swedes are proud of their nation and its accomplishments. Lagom, which means “not too much, not too little…just right” is a word often used and heard in Sweden. Swedes also have a profound respect for integrity.

Tipping Guidelines

A service charge is frequently included at restaurants; If not, a 5-10% tip is appropriate. Leave small change at bars for a gratuity. Porters, bellhops, and housekeeping expect 5-10 kronor as a tip. Round up taxi fares.


Dala horse wooden toys, Sami handicrafts, glasswork items, hand-knitted Nordic sweaters, schnapps spirits

Traditional Cuisine

Köttbullar (Swedish Meatballs) — beef mixed with pork or veal seasoned with onions, salt, pepper, and allspice and shaped into small round balls for browning in butter; typically served with lingonberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and gravy on the side

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Thursday, May 09, 2024