US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens Reconsider Travel to Trinidad and Tobago due to crime. Exercise increased caution in Trinidad and Tobago due to terrorism and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws, and special circumstances in this country.

Passport/Visa Requirements

US citizens should make sure their passport will not expire for at least 6 months after they enter the country even if they do not intend to stay that long. They should also make sure they have at least 1 blank page in their passport for any entry stamp that will be required. A visa is not required as long as you do not stay in the country more than 89 days.

US Embassy/Consulate

[1] (868) 622-6371 through 6376; US Embassy in Port of Spain, 15 Queen’s Park West, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago;;

LGBTQIA+ Travelers

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) travelers can face unique challenges when traveling abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Legal protections vary from country to country. Many countries do not legally recognize same-sex marriage. Approximately seventy countries consider consensual same-sex sexual relations a crime, sometimes carrying severe punishment.

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone

Ambulance: 990; Fire: 990; Police: 999


An International Certificate of Vaccination for yellow fever is required for travelers arriving from countries with a risk of yellow fever transmission and for travelers having transited through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. See WHO recommendations.


Tropical; rainy season (June to December)

Currency (Code)

Trinidad and Tobago dollars (TTD)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

115 V / 60 Hz / plug types(s): A, B

Plug Type APlug Type B

Major Languages

English, Trinidadian Creole English, Tobagonian Creole English, Caribbean Hindustani (a dialect of Hindi), Trinidadian Creole French, Spanish, Chinese

Major Religions

Protestant 32.1%, Roman Catholic 21.6%, Hindu 18.2%, Muslim 5%, Jehovah's Witness 1.5%

Time Difference

UTC-4 (1 hour ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit

Suggested; additionally, if you plan to drive in Trinidad and Tobago, you will need an Inter-American Driving Permit issued by the AAA

Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Port of Spain; Maracas Bay; Pigeon Point; Caroni Bird Sanctuary; Asa Wright Nature Centre & Lodge; Little Tobago Island; Mount Saint Benedict Monastery

Major Sports

Soccer, sailing, track and field, rugby

Cultural Practices

Avoid cursing or using foul language as it is considered a criminal offense.

Tipping Guidelines

In general, Trinidadians do not tip. A 10% service charge is often included at restaurants. If you really want to tip a particular waiter for exceptional service, make sure to physically give them the cash or leave it on the table where they can see it. Do not add it into the bill or credit card slip. Tipping private taxi drivers is at your discretion. Do not tip if you share a taxi. Tip a few dollars each round for the bartender.


Sarongs and other hand-painted clothing; shell necklaces and beaded, gold, and silver jewelry; leather sandals, spices, woodcarvings, steel pan drums, handmade ceramic statues

Traditional Cuisine

Callaloo — a stew with a soup-like consistency; dasheen (a type of taro) leaves are cooked with a variety of herbs and spices; crabs are traditionally added, however, chicken or salted pork may also be used

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Tuesday, July 18, 2023