Travel Facts

US State Dept Travel Advisory

The US Department of State currently recommends US citizens exercise normal precautions in Uzbekistan.  Consult its website via the link below for updates to travel advisories and statements on safety, security, local laws and special circumstances in this country.

Passport/Visa Requirements

US citizens should make sure their passport is valid at the date of their entering the country. They should also make sure they have at least 1 blank page in their passport for any entry stamp that will be required. A visa is required. US citizens will need to get in touch with the country’s embassy or nearest consulate to obtain a visa prior to visiting the country.

US Embassy/Consulate

+(998) (71) 120-5450; US Embassy Tashkent, 3 Moyqorghon Street, 5th Block, Yunusobod District, 100093, Tashkent, Uzbekistan;;

Telephone Code


Local Emergency Phone



See WHO recommendations


Mostly mid-latitude desert, long, hot summers, mild winters; semiarid grassland in east

Currency (Code)

Uzbekistani soum (UZS)

Electricity/Voltage/Plug Type(s)

220 V / 50 Hz / plug types(s): C, F

Plug Type CPlug Type F

Major Languages

Uzbek, Russian, Tajik

Major Religions

Muslim 88% (mostly Sunni), Eastern Orthodox 9%, other 3%

Time Difference

UTC+5 (10 hours ahead of Washington, DC, during Standard Time)

Potable Water

Opt for bottled water

International Driving Permit


Road Driving Side


Tourist Destinations

Samarkand; Shahrisabz; Tashkent; Bukhara, Khiva; Aral Sea; Fergana Valley

Major Sports

Soccer, wrestling, equestrian sport

Cultural Practices

Bargaining is expected at the market and in most shops. Do not be surprised if prices are haggled over.

Tipping Guidelines

Tipping is not required in restaurants and cafes since a service charge is automatically added to the bill. Bellhops may expect a small gratuity.

Please visit the following links to find further information about your desired destination.

World Health Organization (WHO) - To learn what vaccines and health precautions to take while visiting your destination.

US State Dept Travel Information - Overall information about foreign travel for US citizens.

To obtain an international driving permit (IDP). Only two organizations in the US issue IDPs:
American Automobile Association (AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

How to get help in an emergency? 
Contact the nearest US embassy or consulate, or call one of these numbers:
from the US or Canada - 1-888-407-4747 or from Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Page last updated: Tuesday, May 10, 2022